Monday 5 August 2019

The Horror of Giant Carnivorous Plants.

Giant carnivorous plants have always given me the creeps. Ever since reading John Wyndham's, The Day of The Triffids. Then there were things like Venus flytraps and other incests consuming plants. Even though they were small, I still found them ghastly.

As a child, most of us have overactive imaginations. We are prone to extreme exaggeration when we are in our schoolboy groups talking about such things. I was no exception. I can remember us schoolboys being deep in discussion during the dinner breaks. If a lad told a whopper of a lie, we were all sucked in by it.

I remember being told of Triffid size Venus flytraps living in the remote areas of the Amazon jungle. We all believed the fanciful tale. Someone had seen it in a documentary that the rest of us had missed. We all believed the huge tale because we wanted to.

Of course, when I got home, I would go racing off to my Dad. He was always a fountain of knowledge concerning such things. He would bring me down to Earth with a slight bump and a more honest opinion. I think he may have laughed because he enjoyed the way of kids being sucked in by such stories after watching a science fiction movie.

He would say, "Giant carnivorous plants were for science fiction movies and lad's comics."

Sometimes I would waver and reason that remote jungle areas of the Earth were remote because such plants existed. That is why no one lived there. Who knows, perhaps on other planets - lol. There must be some sort of gluttonous plant somewhere in the universe.