Sunday 8 May 2016

The Pilot Who Played to His Audience

Carole and I were walking along the dike towards the car park of Manea Bird Hides. We had been looking out over the Fen towards Ely Cathedral. No birds of prey put in an appearance on this day, but there were many other things of interest to look at. We had our coffee and sandwiches and talked about every day things before calling it a day and making back to the car. 

In every direction there were fields and Fenland. The whole place was very remote. Then, as we walked, there came the sound of a lumbering propellered aircraft. We looked up instinctively and saw this single prop plane flying across the clear blue sky. It sounded as though the engine had a splutter to me. I half expected it to stall and fall from the sky. However, I'm no mechanic and would not know what a good or bad aircraft engine sounded like.

I pointed my camera up and I'm almost certain the pilot saw me because he started looping, twisting and turning right above a particular spot. As he flew off he would loop about and come back again. I'm sure he was doing it for me. 

I came to the conclusion that the engine must have been fine because he seemed to be manoeuvring the plane very well. 












No comments: