Sunday 4 May 2014

Grandfather on Mother's Side of Family.


This is a photograph of my Grandfather on my Mother's side. He died in December 1960 and I was born in February 1961. Therefore, I never knew him.
However, my Nan, Mother, Aunts and Uncles all spoke fondly of him.
His name was Freddie Hayward and he worked on the docks in East London. Both my Grandfathers worked on the docks as did many who lived in London's East End.
He was only in his mid to late fifties when he died from lung cancer. This is the only photo I have of him, so I thought it would be a good idea to blog the picture and say a few things about Freddie Hayward, my Grandfather. Once on the web, his photo will always be about and not lost.
He was working the docks all during the blitz of WWII and must have seen a great many things. I also heard a story of him rescuing many horses from a fire when he was young. I think he got some sort of civil award for doing this and he received it from a member of the Royal Family. This is what I once heard. I imagine it took place in the early 1920s.


No comments: