Thursday 6 April 2017

Treebeard's Little Brother was not in The Lord of the Rings

Today was a beautiful day. Hopefully a taste of what is to come as we work our way through the spring towards summer. I was working in the historic Fenland town of Chatteris and after a few hours, I decided to stop for a cup of tea and a cheese roll.

I picked a spot on the outskirts of town close to a bypass that heads towards Ely. I was enjoying the sunny weather and sipping my tea. Well, I'm sure many of you would sometimes drift and think about things. You might see something and it flicks a little memory and off you go on a little trip.

As I was surveying the field before me, there was this single young tree in the middle of the meadow. It was a very odd shaped tree indeed and I could not help but imagine it was walking towards me. Perhaps to steal my cheese roll. I grinned as I indulged the silly thought. 

Then I was reminded of The Lord of the Rings story. I had read it many years ago and it blew my mind. I've also seen the movie adaptations since reading the wonderful story.

The little lone tree in the meadow made me think of the Ent creatures of the forest. In the story, two of the Hobbit characters meet a giant tree-man called Treebeard. This gigantic walking tree man tells the little Hobbits that he is an Ent. A tree that can walk.

This little tree in the meadow looked as though it was walking, but it was rather small for an Ent. Perhaps it was Treebeard's much young brother and had not grown up yet.

    


No comments: