Sunday 4 February 2018

Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore (My Goodreads Review)

Lorna Doone

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

For escapism, this was a story that I did not want to end. I wanted to live with Lorna Doone in the happy ever after. I'm not usually one for romance. But Lorna knocked me out. She was heaven in my mind's eye. I was John Ridd and I would win her whatever it took. The story takes place in England at the around the time of King Charles II reign. Therefore the English civil war is over and the restoration time has begun. It then goes on over the years as John Ridd and Lorna Doone grow to adults.

The Doones are a displaced and rouge Reiver clan from the borderlands of Scotland and England. They are disowned by other aristocrats but they still have social standing in parts of high society. They are now in the south west of England living on Dartmoor. For almost eighty years the rogue clan has been on the run. They raid the surrounding hamlets and live like bandits. Because of their social standing, the English peasants or farmers can't get the local magistrates to confront the Doone clan.

Everything comes to a climatic consequence. It spans about a twenty year period with lots of trials and tribulations. This is a splendid read for anyone who likes historical adventure and romance. A smashing tale.


View all my reviews




No comments: