Sunday 8 September 2019

Chatterton by Peter Ackroyd (My Goodreads Review)

Chatterton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A very interesting story. I read it a long time ago. I had a fascination with Thomas Chatterton and had seen a documentary about the young man. Therefore, I bought this. The story jumps from Thomas Chatterton's final days and then forward in time to Henry Wallis, the English Pre-Raphaelite painter who is painting the famous The Death of Chatterton painting. The young man lying dead on his bed.

This painting was done in 1856 and the model was an up and coming novelist and poet named George Meredith. The young model's wife would run off with the painter, Henry Wallis. Debauchery and vagabond people of the world of writers, poets and painters. Worth reading.

I felt the story concentrated more on Henry Wallis and other people out of time than it did Chatterton. But it was still an entertaining story of Pre-Raphalites with Chatterton's story as more of a support role. Worth reading if you are interested in Henry Wallis the Victorian Pre-Raphaelite painter. The parts with Chatterton needed a little more in my humble opinion.


View all my reviews

No comments: