Sunday 22 September 2019

The Diary of an Unknown Aviator - Elliot White Springs

I read this book many years ago. I found it in an old book shop. It was an orange cover at the top with a picture of a WWI aircraft. The account, as I can remember, was of an unknown American pilot. I remember it was poignant and sad towards the end. I presume the writer (aviator) never survived the harsh WWI and the memoirs were then published in later years by a friend. I remember that the writer seemed to be under some stress as he gave an account of the casualty rate. I also remember a justifiable resentment at the conflict and a sense that he would not make it through the entire campaign of the air. He seemed to have an understanding of the terrible odds stacked against him and many like himself. You are actually touching a condemned man's inner being. There is an inevitable sadness about this biographical account. You are reading a condemned man's inner thoughts and it was rather sad in many parts because you know what is going to happen and the anonymous writer knows too. His thoughts are up close and very personal and immensely sad from the readers perspective. This is worth reading. Even if you can only do it once, I would advise reading this sad memoir.

No comments: