Saturday 26 February 2011

Little memories (SKA - Skinhead clips)



In 1969 to 1971 I remember Canning Town and the Isle of Dogs (East London.) This track and set of pictures reminds me of those times. I was between 8 and 10, but many of the teenagers of that time dressed very much like the people in these pictures. They were a type of Skinhead lot (though not racist - a sad stigma that has, sometimes, blighted this look) They liked Caribbean reggae tunes like Desmond Decker. It is often called SKA, but I'm not sure if this was the same then. It might have been. I just like the photos and the tune because it has that little nostalgic feel of a time gone by. Some of the photos probably don't go back to the late 60s early 70s, but they still stroke that memory for me. It makes me think of some of the people of that time and I wonder what they look like and are doing now. Most from the 69-71 era would be clocking 60 years by now. It seems like just yesterday when I was around 10 and the SKA people were teenagers of around 15 - 17.




No comments: