Tuesday 1 August 2017

Moving the Bird Box for Next Year.

The bird box was visited by a little Jenny Wren a few weeks ago. It was male and he seemed to be layering the bird box with feathers. I got a photo shot of the bird coming and going and did a blog of this. Sadly, the bird box was not chosen by the Jenny Wren female. Her partner will make a number of nests and she will choose the one she thinks is the most appropriate. On this occasion, my bird box did not pass the test.

Therefore, I decided on a new plan of action for next year. The bird box was too exposed and the Jenny Wren likes to be more concealed. Also, I was told the box was a little too high. I have now moved the box by a trellis with Jasmin growing up and gradually covering the potential nest. It is also lower. The Sparrowhawk would have definitely discovered their exposed nest as it is still visiting all the gardens on a daily basis. It seems to hunt for the fledgelings. 

No comments: