Friday 27 April 2018

The Watermen by Patrick Easter (My Goodreads Review)

The Watermen (Tom Pascoe, #1)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Absolute peach of a read. Set in London in 1798. A young Captain of a merchant vessel and ex-Royal Navy brings his ship into the port of London. His arrival coincides with the forming of a marine police force. Through a set of twisting circumstances, our hero Tom Pascoe embarks upon a new career as a marine policeman. He comes up against a formidable gang of villains led by a notorious Irishman named Brolin. Lots of twists and turns - friendship, murder, mystery and mayhem all the way. I enjoyed the old picture of the London streets I know well. Especially in the E.C. area where I worked as a postman for twenty years. It is where all the banks and reinsurance companies are today. Yet at this time, there are residential dwellings etc. My childhood districts of Bow and Poplar are mere marsh areas with fields etc. I thought the picture of this old style outer fringe of what is today East London was brilliant. I would highly recommend this story. It is the first book in a saga of Tom Pascoe stories. He is a river policeman in the port of London. Smashing stuff. I will certainly read more of these adventures.



No comments: