Thursday 17 May 2018

H.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian (My Goodreads Review)

H.M.S. Surprise (Aubrey/Maturin #3)

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a gripping yarn. We are taken on a journey to the Indian Ocean with confrontations on land and sea. I am truly a fan of these Aubrey/Maturin naval stories. This one is no exception. The battle scenes at sea are presented to a degree where I thought I was there. The small points are taken into consideration by the Captain as the galleons square up to each other. Trying to get abeam of the ship as it leans over from the wind. This prevents it using its bottom line of guns. Thus a smaller ship fights a bigger vessel using the elements to advantage etc. There are so many things like this during the story. Splendid stuff all the way. The characters and the dialogue are marvellous as usual. I can't recommend these naval stories high enough. Well worth reading.



No comments: