Thursday 10 May 2018

Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian (My Goodreads Review)

Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin, #2)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the second Aubrey/Maturin story. They are set during the Napoleonic wars at sea. In this story, we see our heroes up against it with debt collectors threatening. Jack Aubrey needs a ship because while at sea, he can keep the creditors away. The dialogue is splendid and some of the narration has that old fashion feel too. It all makes for a great atmospheric feel. The battles at sea are particularly gripping. Even if, like me, you know nothing about sailing at sea; you'll get sucked up into these dazzling adventures. I'll definitely go for the third story after being thrilled by the first two adventures. I can't express how good the dialogue is. I know I've mentioned it before, but this is what makes the story so fine. The speech is how one might well imagine how people of such times would talk. I felt as though I was there. Walking about the old port towns and visiting well to do people. Some of these parts of the story had an almost Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin feel about it. Then there are the descriptions of men at sea and the workings of such magnificent vessels.



No comments: