Tuesday 7 August 2018

Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian (My Goodreads Review)

Desolation Island (Aubrey/Maturin #5)

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Once again, a superb historical read. These Patrick O'Brian novels set on the high seas of the Napoleonic times are a marvel. The language and whole presentation of the stories are very special. I felt as though I was there among the fabulous characters. This tale is wonderfully interwoven with Maturin devising a cunning plan of espionage. Aubery must pit his wits against a pursuing Dutch Man-of-War battleship. His ship is old and undermanned and those who are aboard are riddled with disease. He also has a compliment of prisoners being transported to Botany Bay.

The ever pursuing and skilful Dutch ship is always chasing. It has the vastly superior firepower to the fleeing HMS Leopard. Captain Jack Aubrey must try and stay one step ahead of the awesome enemy ship. I can't praise these books high enough. I've just bought the next title to follow this adventure. If you enjoy seafaring tales then I would highly recommend these Aubrey/Maturin sagas. They are so compelling.


View all my reviews

No comments: