Wednesday 21 November 2018

Dune by Frank Herbert (My Goodreads Review)

Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Epic story set in a far-flung future with a vast Galactic Empire. Space travel abounds over vast distances and humans have learnt to fold space, allowing a craft to jump from one corner of a fold to another. When the fold opens back out the spacecraft has travelled Billions of light years in a split second. To do this Humans take a mind-enhancing spice called melange. This mutates the navigators who are deformed and have a sole purpose of folding space. This melange spice is mined on one planet called Arrakis or Dune. Whoever controls this planet controls the Empire. Computer technology is not used anymore, humans have evolved into necessary types to work out matters. Maths is handled by Mentaps who work out equations in the head and there are various spiritual groups and ruling houses. It is a grand story and well worth reading.

That was in 1979 and I have, again, just finished for the second time. Almost forty years later. There was so much more. Things that I forgot and other things I did not appreciate. It was like a new discovery. Therefore, I'm upgrading from a four-star to a five-star rating.


View all my reviews

No comments: