Sunday 19 October 2014

Battlestar Galactica Blood & Chrome (Off shoot movie in the Battlestar Galactica Universe)

I was in town wondering around my local supermarket when I saw a swivel stand with cheap DVDs. Also, to my surprise, was a couple of sides donated to cut price blu-ray movies. These were selling at £5.

I noticed several that I might like being a Sci/Fi and historical fan.  On the historical front, I could only see two which was Braveheart and Gladiator. Gladiator is fantastic, but I already have it and unfortunately, I can't stand Braveheart because it is about a load of Sweaty Socks winning against the English. I'm English and can't stand the Sweaties winning anything. Even if its a football match, so Hell can freeze over before I would even give Braveheart a viewing again. 

What I did get was Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator - a peach of a movie and one called Battlestar Galactica - Blood & Chrome. I watched all of the new t.v. series and enjoyed, so for £5, I thought I might give the off shoot movie a go.

It was a sort of b-movie made for t.v. relying on some special effects that one might see in a video game, but the plot moved along fast and the small group that the story centred about worked well. The plot progressed in several stages of adventure while our heroes went upon a quest. 

It was not the best movie I've ever seen, but then I did not expect it to be. It was, however, pleasantly surprising because I found it a little better then my expectations. It also had a great ending for me. 

The Cylons were not overplayed either. The viewer is aware of them more as an unseen enemy for most of the movie. We get glimpses of them at a distance, in the beginning, and the unseen knowledge of them works too. Off course they make an appearance towards the end, but the entire story works well without them for most. I can't believe how enjoyable this little modest movie was.

I would say it is well worth a buy if you see it going cheap in the supermarket. A good story with some good action sequences. The film moved at a nice pace and did not get bogged down along the way. It flowed well and the effects worked. I would give it a 7.5 out of 10. 




No comments: