Saturday 18 October 2014

More Sales for HMS Thunder Child Pastiche Story and the Growing Idea for a New Book Cover!

All fans of War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells have their own idea about the ironclad HMS Thunder Child. We know the brave little ship charged three Martian tripods to aid the escape of a paddle steamer.

In my pastiche story: The Last Days of Thunder Child by C.A. Powell, I always see the plucky little coastal defence vessel as obsolete. Even by 1898 standards. She still has short stubby muzzle loading guns. Of course the Royal Navy did away with muzzle loaders after the teribble accident aboard HMS Thunderer during a gunning excersise off Marmora in 1879.

For the pastiche story of HMS Thunder Child, the little ironclad ram has not been updated with breech loading guns. The ship is a misfit and ready to be decomisioned and broken up. The Martian consequence allows the ship a respite from the scrap yard.

I'm planning a more dynamic cover for the book, which has had several edits and new font work after opinions that print was too small. It has been edited with font setting to 250+ pages now. 

All that is needed is a more dynamic cover. This will be tendered out for competition soon with prize money for the winning entry.


I have been designing how I imagine Thunder Child to look on an art package. Of course the design will look more detailed and realistic when it is tendered out for competition on new cover idea. However, I hope the small designs and doodles would give a potetial artist an opinion of what I'm looking for in the new book cover. Also, I'll need bold eye-catching writing for the title and author name. At the back will be the short synopsis and brief which is already on the book.


I hope that gradually my vessel will inspire a talented book cover desiner or artist to have a go. The project will be launched on crowdSPRING in the new year.











































No comments: