Tuesday 21 September 2010

The hard working Monks of Glenstal Abby - Ireland



I think this was interesting, but believed phrases like fake and phony were lacking in respect to what the monks are trying to achieve. I felt the narrator approached the beginning from the wrong perspective. It does not matter when the Glenstal Abby was built - it is wonderful that it was. I believe the monks conduct themselves in a noble and honourable way trying to bring something better to the often flawed world we all live in. What struck me most, was how they developed their ideas and then examined them closely to make sure the ethics of their enterprise was right. I was interested in one young monk who from religious readings noted that one drop of holy water poured into a barrel of water makes an entire barrel of holy water. Then on this note, thinking to import honey from New Zealand cheaply, and pouring Glenstal Abby honey on top might make it all Glenstal Abby honey. Fortunately older and wiser monks drew his attention to the ethics of such a thing, and he abandoned the scheme. I like the human failing of his notion being examined and the honesty of the monk saying this before camera. I got the impression that these spiritual men were really trying because of their belief in God and I just wished the narrator had been able to convey that better. It is a place that I would love to visit.  

No comments: