Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Owl Fields


I have been seeing owls everyday at work. Also kestrels and buzzards. In London and other suburban areas just outside, I never set eyes on any owls unless they were in captivity. I had heard of buzzards but never knew what one looked like until moving to the Fenland. Out here, owls, buzzards, kestrels and various other hawks are all over the place. Today, while driving out to the farms on the refuse lorry, I saw a tiny Tawney owl sitting upon a telephone wire over looking out at the wheat field. No doubt hoping to catch its lunch. It was a tiny little thing for an owl and I had to look twice. I yelped in delight, but was sad that i did not have a camera. The lorry passed right under the little creature as it sat perched upon the telephone cable. It did not seem flustered by us at all as we passed beneath and onwards to the distant farm that was in the middle of nowhere. It was then that I realised I had my phone camera and maybe I could get a few shots. However, by the time we returned, after emptying the bin, the little owl was gone.

I got home and Carole and I decided to take Sasha for a walk. I took the camera and sure enough Carole spotted this barn owl coming across the Fen. I got a lot of shots but the Barn owl did not linger to long as it seemed intent on hunting for food. I can't help getting excited over the owls and to discover them in such abundance is very gratifying. I keep the camera on the ready hoping to get clearer shots. I will do sooner or later.









No comments: