Thursday 4 May 2017

A Very Compelling Story of Misguided Faith.

The SpireThe Spire by William Golding
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A God loving man is Misguided by his faith. A more crudely drawn man, who is the builder by trade, tries to tell the priest about the structures of the grand spire being built. The absolute natural need for better supports and structures to withstand the elements of nature. Of course, the learned man of the cloth thinks God will provide. He will not listen to the builder. Throughout, the builder continues to try and convince the religious man that a sense of reality is needed. Natural laws of physics must be taken into consideration. Will the religious Dean listen?

As I read this story I felt as though the author was reaching inside of me and tearing out something that is flawed or blinded by what I want to believe. William Golding unsettles me yet this is his most compelling story that I have read so far. Brilliant!


C.A. Powell
Saxon Quest


View all my reviews

No comments: