Monday 8 May 2017

The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K Le Guin (My Goodreads Review)

The Word for World is ForestThe Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book many years ago - either the late 70s or early 80s. Since reading it, I have seen a couple of movies where I thought they may have got ideas from this novel. (Avatar and The Return of the Jedi's Ewoks)

It is about a military human colony landing on this forest world. These small hairy biped creatures live within the forest. They love their world and seem docile to the disrespecting humans who are oblivious to the inhabitant's world and ways.

An incident occurs with one of the human militiamen. (I will not say what it is) One of the alien creatures goes into a frenzy and attacks the human who is much stronger than the forest creatures (I can't remember what they are called) Although the alien forest dweller is beaten to a pulp, the being keeps coming back at the human - reluctant to give in.

From this moment on tensions rise and we arrive at a very climatic end. I enjoyed the story - I remember that much and the ending was very good too. I recommend giving this a go. :D


No comments: