Tuesday 5 October 2010

Norman Wisdom

Yesterday was the 4th October 2010. Another slice of the retro British enjoyment fell away into the nostalgic room of my recollections. The British comedian Norman Wisdom passed away at the age of 95. It was so sad, but he leaves us with some wonderful memories and his films will live on forever. I remember when I went away on holiday in the 1960s. My mother took my sister and me to a caravan sight. There was a small little cinema on sight and I remember my mother taking my sister and me to see Norman Wisdom in the Early Bird. We were very excited because his films were always favourites among us.

I loved the one called; (On the Beat) when he so desperately wants to be a policeman but is considered too small. I watch it often and it always gives me a lift. I love the film because the under dog, Norman Pipkin, triumphs over all odds to win his heart’s desire of becoming a policeman, like his father plus he gets a fair young lady into the bargain. The movie is still good today with its retro late 1950s - 1960 settings and old post war Britain way of life.

Of course there are many others too. The Square Peg, The Bull Dog Breed, Follow a Star, and so many more.

Norman Wisdom leaves a wonderful legacy and will be very sadly missed. The kid in me will always remember him with great affection.

No comments: