Monday 5 March 2018

1984 by George Orwell (My Goodreads Review)

1984

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This author flicks all the switches for me with this excellent story. I read so many of his books. Orwell, I think was a searcher. By the time he wrote 1984 and Animal Farm, I think he had given up his quest. I wonder if his view changed when he was in Spain during the civil war.

1984 was the cherry on the cake of all his endeavours. It is such a clever book. It is demoralising too. Yet it is compelling. I don't think I have ever come across someone that is so depressing yet gripping. You want to turn the page. You have to stick with it. I think, perhaps, because we are shown someone searching for an alternative. A believer. We are always presented with a believer searching for something and gradually the dream starts to die. Orwell died in 1950. I was born in 1961. Yet when I read Orwell, I really feel as though he is inside me. Talking directly to me as an author. He can do this through his fictional characters, but there is still Orwell in the background getting his degenerating and defeated view across. I don't always like what he is telling me, but I can't walk away from him. I don't want to believe him because I want people to be more worthy then what he tells me. I think we are, but he still haunts. In this way, people like George Orwell are so necessary. Their thoughts and views will be with us as he talks to our species from the forever, where he has long gone.


View all my reviews


No comments: