Saturday 17 March 2018

Ringworld by Larry Niven (My Goodreads Review)

Ringworld

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Overall a very entertaining story. It redeemed itself in my eyes as the story progressed. At first, I found it a little taxing. I was expecting this ringworld visit as the title suggested. The gathering of our four explorers was a little corny. At least that is what I felt at the beginning. I also found the characters difficult to like too. This circumstance did get better when our motley crew got to the Ringworld. The notion of a small star having a thin line of ribbon circling it. This thin line was at a distance. Close up, the width of the line is a million miles. If the Earth was opened out as a flat map it could easily fit into the width of the line of the ringworld we (The reader) visit. The inner length of this entire Ringworld has a surface area equivalent to three million Earth surface area displacements. As one might well imagine, this place is gigantic and our motley crew of four will barely scratch a tiny thread of the surface and find a wealth of intriguing things. This is when the story really comes alive. If you like sci-fi, I think you might like this. The only reason I don't give it an extra star is that I genuinely felt the start was hammy.


View all my reviews

No comments: