Sunday 18 March 2018

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (My Goodreads Review)

Of Mice and Men

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I remember reading this a long time ago. Therefore, much is conjured from memory. I can't even remember the name of the characters. I can remember it was a short story set during the American depression time. Two friends are drifting about a rural area of farming America. One man is of average height and build. He is articulate enough to get employment. The other is a giant of a man but simple. Intellectually challenged might be a polite way of putting it. The smaller articulate man tries to help and protect his Frankenstein monster friend. He also gets this simple giant employment. They have a dream. The big simple man keeps talking about a time when they will own their own smallholding. He often recites this. It is something the articulate and protective man has taught his simple friend. I remember the articulate man's trust becomes a burden of enormous consequence. I can't say what, because the story would be spoilt. However, the ending was dynamically superb. A total impact. Well worth reading and I would highly recommend this novella.


View all my reviews

No comments: