Monday 19 March 2018

Coming Up for Air by George Orwell (My Goodreads Review)

Coming Up for Air

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book made me think of a time when I tried to search for a nostalgic memory to find the environment changed. However, I read this after reading Orwell's later works. So I've been a little spoilt beforehand. If I'm honest, I was disappointed with this book. Orwell's other works are so much more compelling. The narration of a man suddenly taking an unexpected day off of work to go in search of a memory was something I could identify with. The disappointment of how everything had changed was also another thing I could understand. However, some things I understand are not always enjoyed reading. I know what it's like to be waiting in the depressed atmosphere of a dentist's waiting room. I'm not too keen on reading excellent narrative to describe such a thing. That is what this book is all about. Describing something one might prefer not to remember.


View all my reviews

No comments: