Monday 19 March 2018

The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins by John George Pearson (My Goodreads Review)

The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed reading this. I know many of the places spoken of because I am from Bow and Poplar. I can't help feeling that the book iconised the twin gangsters. I'm not a supporter of that. I am not in awe of them. I have a greater respect for this Jack Nipper policeman who doggedly pursued the Kray twins. They are now historical figures but I don't think there is anything heroic of good about the Krays. They were certainly clever in some ways, but I think some of the things they did were insanely pathetic and dreadful. Also, some of their villainous friends remarked how they could have had many a legitimate business up and running. An entrepreneurial empire could have come about without the violence - perhaps? I get the feeling that those beneath and within the famous Kray twins gang had the connections and skill. While the twins made sure of stopping competition. This book made me think about all sort of alternatives once the twins gained their power and reputation. I keep telling myself, "If only they went properly legitimate. They could have been much bigger and legal." They would have been going for decades.

It seems to have been thrown away for indulging petty projects against individuals that were not worth the effort. The members of the gang who built the firm seem to have seen their twin leaders spiral out of control. All for foolhardy and public killings. It goes to show. No matter how big you think you are; you can and probably will always fall. It was a good informative book, but a little too admiring of the twins in my humble opinion.


View all my reviews

No comments: