Monday 19 March 2018

A Kestrel For A Knave by Barry Hines (My Goodreads Review)

A Kestrel For A Knave

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a very poignant story. It captures much of the way I remember England as a kid. Except for this Northern lad, Billy Casper seems to live in a much more run down area of the country. I was thrilled by his finding of a young female kestrel. I happen to enjoy Falcons. I see them day in and day out where I live. Some of the other things aside struck a note too. The sports teacher being like a big kid during the games lesson. Out on the field with the kids in his Man United football kit etc. It was hard to imagine who was the bigger kid of all the youngsters during the PE - games lesson. The young adolescent Billy develops a new outlook on life as he forms a bond with his female kestrel. The falcon is cherished above all things in the young lad's life. His new falconry pursuit helps him as he struggles with the day to day ways of the run-down North England mining town.


View all my reviews

No comments: