Saturday 15 June 2013

Solaris - Remake with George Clooney




As a rule I never usually like remade movies, especially if the first movie is very good. The old Soviet Union Science Fiction movie called Solaris was an absolute gem back in the early 1970s. It was a deep film that caused the mind to wander and speculate about the strange phenomenons that could exist beyond Earth. 

In this story (Solaris) the strange occurrences are splendid and the movie keeps you gripped.

When George Clooney was announced as being in a new presentation of the story, I was a little wary, but still wanted to see it. I did not expect it to stand so well alongside the original. The re-make had a unique feel of its own and I thoroughly enjoyed this remake. It was simply captivating. Well worth a watch and, in my view, one of the best Science fiction movies of recent times. The surrounding props and the background music was first class. George Clooney acted splendidly. His character is that of a rational man. A doctor of mathematics and psychology that is trying to come to grips with the uncanny happenings that defy all logic upon a space station orbiting a gas giant (Solaris). 

One of my favourite movies...?  Yes! Without any doubt.
As good as the first one is?  I must confess, I like the remake a little better. 

No comments: