Saturday 25 June 2011

Hawkwind - Silver Machine


Hawkwind were a strange old band. I heard the Sci/Fi and Fantasy writer Micheal Moorcock had something to do with this rock group too. They were one of those spaced out seventies bands that immortalised themselves in the rock history books because of this single in 1972. There were a few other tracks that were good, like Brainstorm and Masters of the Universe, but most of their other material seemed a bit too spaced out and heavy for my taste. However, this particular record did capture my imagination and it does have that wonderful early retro feel about it from the early seventies. Sometimes when I look back at these sort of performances, I wonder how our social society came out of the other side as intact as we are. When people say they despair of today's youth, I'm sure many of the older people, saying such things, were going to concerts like this and buying the records. In that day of 1972, the older people would say; "I went to war for louts like this." and then perhaps wondered if it was worth it. You don't see the change on a day to day basis, but there is obvious differences since 1972 to 2011. It must have been so, to an incredible degree, from 1940 to 1972. I think as we grow older we forget that we were also young and rebellious once. 




















No comments: